Preschool Favourites: Julia Donaldson

Preschool Favourites

I suppose I shouldn’t really be writing about my favourite Julia Donaldson books (yes, I only mentioned it on Saturday but I’m doing it already). I should probably, actually focus on the children but hey, I found a new love when I made them and it’s a hugely popular one. I challenge any mother to not have a favourite Julia Donaldson book and if not, why not? We love her here and my favourites definitely differ from the girls, from what I can tell anyway!

I haven’t read all Julia Donaldson’s books, there are bloody mountains of the things and her name often appears in unexpected places too but anyway, of the books we have read here are my definite top five, there is no order though. Apologies in advance to the Gruffalo, you are loved by all but you’re not my favourite.

What the Ladybird Heard

I love love love love What the Ladybird Heard. We must have read it 4500 times and each time I love it as much as the last. I think it’s the rhyme scheme above everything else and the pace at which it can be read. Oooh and the pictures, of course. Lydia Monks is brilliant!

Tabby McTat

Probably the sweetest of Julia Donaldson’s picture books read to date. I love the relationship between the cat and the homeless man (yes, I’m actually saying that). I also love that we have our own melody for the tune they sing together. We are that cool.

Stick Man

Theoretically just for Christmas but I don’t believe we ever read it during that time and I just once again fell for the rhyme scheme. Obviously reading aloud means it really helps if there’s a rhythm to follow (not that I can’t read normally but you know) and these are pitched just perfectly for me. I hate hate reading aloud and am self-conscious about it, even a little bit in front of the children for some reason so I’m much happier with a framework to stick to!

Monkey Puzzle

I love the incompetent butterfly beyond belief! One of the best characters Donaldson has ever created and really funny. Well, funny enough to get me chuckling which is good enough in this instance! We also have the audio CD version of this and the song is permanently stuck in my head and for some reason I don’t hate it.

A Squash and a Squeeze

This one is a bit like an old fable and I really enjoyed that aspect. Once again drawn in by awesome rhymes and humour. What’s not to love? I love the illustrations in this one, especially the expressions on the animals faces when they’re turfed out of the house.

Despite my going on about rhyme repeatedly here I just have to mention The Rhyming Rabbit is not one of my favourites and it’s the one that always has me groaning when my biggest girl picks it out. The rhymes all wrong rhyming rabbit!

What’s your favourite Julia Donaldson book…so far? Maybe I’ll be convinced to dig out even more and see if they can muscle their way into my top 5!

0 Comments

• Rea commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

More C’s favourites than mine as I don’t get a say when it comes to reading him books, he loves the gruffalo, to the point where I no longer need the book to read the story, room on the broom, I love how he gasps and cries “oh no!” When the dragon appears, and what the ladybird heard, he does all the animal noises for me now. He likes sharing a shell too, but the first three are his all time favourites

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

I feel like I’ve done The Gruffalo a bad deal here – we do love him, the girls particularly, but he’s not my favourite!

• Michelle-Yvette commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

It’s funny how for me books contain more memories than a song.

My love of Julia Donaldson began six years ago when I began working with my first patient, in the three years with them we read all of them but The Gruffalo, Room on The Broom and Monkey Puzzle were our favourites, The Gruffalo will always be mine and Pickles book as we would read it in the morning before school, and the child learnt overcome the problems of speaking from doing this. When I was pregnant with L, pickle would read to my bump.
    The JD love has continued with L but his favourite is Room on The Broom or Whoosh as it is fondly known as by him and Daddy and What The Ladybird Heard brings back memories of working a reception class with one of my patients.

I must admit though I can’t get through two pages of The Smartest Giant without physically yawning – and yet I love the book!

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

This is brilliant :) thanks for your memories :)!
      The Smartest Giant is on the list of ones we haven’t actually read yet but will one day I’m sure. I also love the Nick Sharratt illustrated ones (Hippo has a Hat/ One Mole Digging a Hole) and they might also be Jessamy’s favourites if I’m honest.

• Anna commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Some more of our fave Julia Donaldson books are the highway rat and the paper dolls – she is great!

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Oooh we have The Highway Rat but he’s not our most popular – Paper Dolls is on my to-read list now :).

• Jen aka The Mad House commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

My boys loved The Gruffalo and I adore Stick Man. Have you read No Matter What by Debbie Glorie?

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

We haven’t read No Matter What – despite the gorgeous foxies but we have read Stormy Weather which I think features the same (or very similar) characters. I am constantly amazed by the quality of new children’s books/ideas out there!

• Muttering Mummy commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

E loves Gruffalos Child at the moment but my favourite is Superworm. It’s so easy to read because of the way it rhymes. We almost sing it at bedtime :) Love it x

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

We haven’t got Superworm yet but it’s definitely on the I-am-totally-getting-that list :D!

• Muttering Mummy commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

I think you’d really like it :) Waterstones have buy one get one half price on some Juiua Donaldson books at the moment :)

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

I’m not allowed in bookshops anymore – I can’t control myself ;)

• Nayna Kanabar commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

my children are past this stage of books but they sound like a great read.

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

I think I sometimes enjoy them more than my girls :D

• Kate Williams commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Also a fan of a squash and a squeeze, I get my son to tell the cow off for dancing on the table ;) and while I like the gruffalo I have officially read it at least 468,353 times so I do t mind too much if I don’t have to read it again!

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Haha glad you get where I’m coming from – I do really enjoy the Gruffalo but others are more my thing :)

• Laura commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Please don’t hate me but apart from The Gruffalo, we haven’t read any of Julia Donaldson books. Our favourite book is The Hungry Caterpillar #blogclub

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

No such thing as hate :D! Julia Donaldson is wonderful though, as is Eric Carle :D!

• Boo Roo and Tigger Too commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

We love The Gruffalo or Room on a Broom. I keep saying that I need to buy the Stickman but never get round to doing it *runs off to Amazon* #BlogClub

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

Please read Stickman, it’s wonderful…I don’t know it off by heart at all ;)

• globalmouse commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

I love Julian Donaldson too. In fact I wrote a post all about my favourite of her books – the Snail and the Whale! I haven’t read What the Ladybird Heard though so will have to get that!

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

See my biggest loves The Snail and the Whale but I’m not its biggest fan. You MUST read What the Ladybird Heard :D!

• Franglaise Mummy commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

How did I not know there were so many Julia Donaldson books? I blame it on living in France for 12 years! Right I’m off to hunt these ones down…. We only have The Gruffalo and The Stick Man and L doesn’t like The Stick Man so it’s fairly limiting….
    #BlogClub

• plasticrosaries commented on March 31, 2014 Reply

There are absolutely loads – really really loads! I had to whittle it down to 5!

• Clare Nicholas commented on April 1, 2014 Reply

We love room on a broom and the gruffalo and of course the gruffalos child

• plasticrosaries commented on April 1, 2014 Reply

We haven’t had Room on the Broom yet! :)