Lockheed SR 71 Blackbird engineThis is me joining in with a linky that I had heard of but never tried before. It’s the one and only Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop. I have heard good things, awesome things in fact, so yes, here is me getting involved and hopefully giving my blog the lift it needs. Though I love posting my book reviews there is more to my mind than that and so many more things I want to say. Here’s some of that.

From this week’s prompts I chose:

Your Least Favourite Subject At School

Now it may seem like a pretty boring thing to talk about and in some instances it is, being bored was half the reason it was my least favourite but it’s also a chance to talk about something else, something different!

Throughout school my Physics teacher was an apathetic bald guy called Mr. Gee. It wasn’t until my final year that I realised he wasn’t a complete monster and was basically, as I say, apathetic.

What is there to love about physics? Although mathematics doesn’t interest me either I found myself at home amongst algebra as there were letters involved and it was the physics-type mathematics I could not get my head around. Formulas with words and not letters are not my kind of thing.

I appreciate, kind of, that physics is essential for the world to work. I know the foundations of engineering lie in physics but I can’t make it stick. I don’t allow myself to think about how a car propels itself down the road or how a plane stays in the sky because I fear my brain may explode.

I am a facts person, facts and opinion. Social history and languages are where I felt comfortable, of course English sat somewhere in there too, so the pureness of physics defeated me and defeats me still! I can’t blame Mr. Gee though, I’m not convinced he particularly enjoyed physics either…

That didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted but there we go. Me getting involved again.

Mama’s Losin’ It
Photo Credit: Creative Commons License Kevin Dooley via Compfight

• Dominique Goh commented on February 27, 2014 Reply

I was never good at Sciences.. I did basic physics before and it was certainly beyond me.. in the end I only continued with Biology in secondary school. Visiting from Mama Kat’s.

• plasticrosaries commented on February 27, 2014 Reply

I don’t blame you – we had no option to drop any sciences until 16! Silly curriculum!

• Anne-Marie commented on February 28, 2014 Reply

I actually did Physics A-Level because I liked maths and sciences best but I just couldn’t get my head around Physics sadly. We also had an awful teacher. He was just useless. He was married to the (apparently) brilliant Biology teacher and (allegedly) the school didn’t want to lose her so he stayed. The Physics results were awful. Straight A pupils got Bs and Cs at best. I got an E 😉 And this was a private school with classes of about 6 by the time we did A-Level. Maybe it’s something about Physics teachers?!

• plasticrosaries commented on February 28, 2014 Reply

Oh that sounds like a complete mess! I don’t think they would have let me do Physics A Level if I had begged, which would never have happened. Ours definitely wasn’t interested in what he was doing! When it came to A Levels I don’t think I even entered the science block once in my college – it’s a shame as I found algebra and chemical equations etc fascinating!

• Kat commented on March 2, 2014 Reply

Thanks for joining this week! What is it about people like Mr. Gee even looking to work in schools with children? You would think guys like that would avoid working with children.

• plasticrosaries commented on March 2, 2014 Reply

haha well exactly – I don’t think his heart was in it for a second – then again I went to university with lots of people who decided to teach because they couldn’t work out what to do! Thanks for the inspiration!